Saturday, November 12, 2022

Get the Mop

You know how you go through the same routine every morning around breakfast: get the porridge cooking, start the coffee maker, empty the dishwasher, set the table, get out the vitamin tablets, pour the orange juice? You know when you get distracted by thoughts about inflation, politics, war, climate change, ecosystem collapse, and forget the important stuff like putting the coffee pot under the drip? Never done that? Let me tell you. It involves a mop. 

No! I don't want to think about it. Don't ask Dorothy either; I forgot to clean up the mess. It won't help if you remind her. I've decided that I get two more chances before I have to switch to instant or reserve a table at Tim's or give up coffee and save a bundle. Just joking.

Some things happen because that is the way the universe works. You can't beat nature by quick freezing your head and keeping it in cold storage until the genes controlling dementia can be turned off. Forgetting stuff is predestined.

Forgetting the coffee pot is a random variation on the theme just to make life interesting. When it's no longer interesting, one morning you will not wake up and breakfast will go on without you. That's as it should be. Otherwise, the world would devolve into a dystopian nightmare populated by those who were first in line for CRISPR therapy. They discover that immortality is hell because there isn't enough coffee for eight billion people. Nature's solution is that sooner or later someone else gets to do breakfast. 

That's the way the universe works. Be glad it's your turn, and get the mop.

***************************

The Day of 8 Billion: United Nations

November 15: Quirks and Quarks


No comments:

Post a Comment