Knowsis is, first of all, about fact or fiction. To keep things uncomplicated, I am going define facteems as information that may be fact or fiction. Each facteem is connected to other facteems and is known by those connections. To avoid misunderstanding, I will call such a connection a knexion. Knowsis is the knowledge space of those defining knexions, which may be characterized in a number of ways. Intelligence is how well the knexions are known. Then they may be to some degree interesting, plausible, past-present-future, individual or shared collective information. I can't rule out still other dimensions, but this is complicated enough for me.
Here's where we are so far. Knowsis has at least five dimensions:
1. unknown-wellknown
2. uninteresting-interesting
3. implausible-plausible
4. past-present-future
5. individual-shared
Now that we have the definitions out of the way, let's locate a facteem in my personal knowsis.
Facteem: transitioning to renewable sources of energy will cause environmental, economic and social disruption.
1. The transition to renewables is going to require lots of materials which have to be mined, transported refined, manufactured, installed, and ultimately recycled or disposed of. Lots of new jobs with training and relocation are required. However, I don't know how those facteems will compare to what is already in place with the use of fossil fuels. So I don't know much.
2. I find this topic very interesting because civilization may collapse if we can't get off fossil fuels quickly enough. I will likely be gone by then but the great-grandchildren are counting on us.
3. It is plausible that the transition is manageable. Worldwide there are many scientists and technicians who could solve the technical problems of transition fairly quickly as they arise. On the other hand, it isn't clear that there is political will to deal with economic or social problems.
4. Past experience with technological and economic transitions, such as horses to cars, is that once they get started, they accelerate quickly with economies of scale and competition in innovation. This is a chance to build back a more sustainable civilization in decades, now that we have started.
5. At this point I need to find others who know things I don't know. To that end, here are links to some sources that may elaborate on my facteems.
All the good stuff is here below. I've just been having fun so far.
3. It is plausible that the transition is manageable. Worldwide there are many scientists and technicians who could solve the technical problems of transition fairly quickly as they arise. On the other hand, it isn't clear that there is political will to deal with economic or social problems.
4. Past experience with technological and economic transitions, such as horses to cars, is that once they get started, they accelerate quickly with economies of scale and competition in innovation. This is a chance to build back a more sustainable civilization in decades, now that we have started.
5. At this point I need to find others who know things I don't know. To that end, here are links to some sources that may elaborate on my facteems.
All the good stuff is here below. I've just been having fun so far.
****************
Digging into the mining impacts of renewable energy. Ian Hannington, David Suzuki Foundation, March 9, 2023
Blind Spots of Green Energy Transition: Olivia Lazard Ted Talk, October 2022
Biden's Big, Bold Green Spend sends shockwaves around the world. CBC News, March 8, 2023
seems to me it's that number three is a killer...
ReplyDeletethe introduction was difficult to read through tears. thank you . the clarity throughout is appreciated. have you copyrighted this or can we share your analysis? dennis this is a good work.
ReplyDeletei forgot to sign john
DeleteSorry this made you cry. It's fine if you share it. Feel free. There is a copyright notice at the bottom of the blog. It should say Read At Your Own Risk.
Delete