Saturday, March 18, 2023

Hug a Puppy

If you want to know about Artificial Intelligence, where do you get your information?

(a) cinema?
Matrix
Big Hero 6
Oblivion
A.I. Artificial Intelligence
The Imitation Game

(b) books?
Driven, Alex Davies
If Then, Jill Lepore
The Hype Machine, Sinan Aral
Predict and Surveil, Sarah Brayne
Voices from the Valley, ed. Tarnoff and Weigel
Digitize and Punish, Brian Jefferson
New Laws of Robotics, Fran Passquale
The Great Decoupling, Nigel Inkster

Blogs?
I'm getting tired of this. Just ask Bing.
That's what I did.

Videos?
Just ask Bing.

Podcasts?
Ask Bing.

News Media?
Bing.

I asked Bing for a 200 word essay on the current state of artificial intelligence. I was going to paste the answer here, complete with links to sources, but I thought better of it. If you don't want to know, it's a waste of space. If you do want to know, ask Bing. More about wanting later.

I asked Bing about the limitations of GPT-4, which is the artificial intelligence module that gives Bing its magic. Bing was truthful:
The limitations include social biases, hallucinations, and generating harmful advice. Just like its previous versions, GPT-4 is still not completely reliable, and even though it significantly reduces hallucinations relative to previous models, it could make reasoning errors.

This is not a confession or an apology. Bing doesn't care. It is a compilation of language found on the internet filtered through some rules built into the code. In short, Bing doesn't know anything. But it's going to tell you anyway, just as if it knows, because that is what it was made to do. 

Bing doesn't know. What would it take to make Bing know? I asked Bing.

Bing reports different types of intelligence most of which Bing lacks. 
Visual-spatial
Linguistic-verbal
Logical-mathematical
Body-kinesthetic
Musical
Interpersonal
Intrapersonal
Naturalistic
Existential

Bing, being Bing, can find the information on the Internet and tell it back to you in a form meeting your specifications. Knowing is more than that. Every experience involves information, generates affect and is remembered as Knowledge which is Information plus Affect,
K = I + A .
Every new experience receives input from this reservoir of knowledge and generates some new affect before it is stored in memory as additional knowledge. 

Knowing is, so far, uniquely human, information with affect, where affect means self-awareness, emotion, empathy, judgment, shame, pride, compassion, love, hate, anger, fear, conscience, wanting, curiosity, and such. 

You can ask Bing how all of this works, and Bing will reply about activity in various parts of the brain, neurotransmitters and epigenetics, lots of information. But Bing doesn't know. I know. I read that stuff. It was nice to know, but it made me drowsy.

Anyway, if you want information,
ask Bing; 
but don't ask Bing to hug a puppy.
************************
Mapping the Brain, Quirks and Quarks, March 18, 2023
Brain in a Dish: Wikipedia on Cerebral Organoids
Human Brain Cells Used as Living AIs: New Scientist, March 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment