I asked Bing about knowledge as information plus affect. Bing said, "That is an interesting perspective, but knowledge has several other definitions; for example, knowledge is justified true belief."
I thought about that, certainly not long enough, because there are books written about it, and I am going to write a paragraph.
To begin with, I would add that knowledge is justified true belief about information, or the statement makes no sense. Next, truth is subjective insofar as belief is a choice based on a state of mind, an affect. In other words, my definition of knowledge is almost the same as that quoted by Bing, although the language is different. My idea is more general, since affect includes other mental states besides belief.
The next day, I asked Bing again about knowledge as information plus affect. Bing replied, "Yes, that’s correct. The affective component of knowledge refers to the emotions and feelings associated with the information. For example, if you know that a certain food is unhealthy, you may feel disgusted by it. On the other hand, if you know that a certain activity is fun, you may feel excited about it. Does that help?"
Hey! Bing stole my interesting perspective. I should have known. I had skipped over the disclaimer at the top of Bing's page: Let's learn together. Bing is powered by AI, so surprises and mistakes are possible. Make sure to check the facts, and share feedback so we can learn and improve.
In other words, knowledge may include justified true disbelief, and even justified true uncertainty, knowing that you don't know.
Bing provides information. After we decide whether to trust it, it becomes knowledge, a combination of the information and how far we trust it.
Good to know.
********************
The Global War Over AI has Already Started, Newsweek, March 20, 2023
As I'm reading about your conversation with Bing I am recalling a habit you USED to have: you used to regularly state a position and ask your readers to "show me where I'm wrong." I recall being frustrated by this question, as very often I might have, for the most part, agreeing with your perspective, but being stimulated to add to your ideas, or to take them in another direction.
ReplyDeleteSo here's my question for you: have you asked Bing to show you where you're wrong?
Good thought, Marion. I gave it a try on my next post. I asked Bing whether I was wrong to think that humanity is God's spoiled brats. Bing didn't offer an opinion but listed lots of links about spoiled brats, including one that thought being God's spoiled brats was just fine.
DeleteI conclude that if I want to know whether I am wrong I will ask Marion.